School bus transportation is a privilege and convenience that can be revoked. Persistent disregard of bus rules will result in a loss of bus riding privileges. Should a student lose this privilege, it becomes the responsibility of the parent or guardian to provide transportation. Durham School Services aids the Dallastown Area School District in maintaining the safety of its students by obtaining video and audiotapes of all behavior on its buses. As a result, students and their parents/guardians are informed that they should not expect any conversations or behavior to be exempt from this recordation. The district maintains responsibility over the safety and conduct of students while being transported on an assigned school bus. As such, the following bus conduct rules should be respected and will be enforced by school officials:
Students should be waiting at the designated bus stop at least 7 minutes before bus arrival time.
Students are only allowed to be assigned to one AM bus, and one PM bus. Students may not ride any other bus unless an exception has been granted by an Administrator in the instance of an extreme emergency.
- The driver has absolute control of the bus and of the conduct of those riding on it, except in the presence of a teacher or principal.
- Remain seated and facing forward during your bus ride.
- Never put your hands or head out of a bus window.
- Never attempt to get off or on the bus while it is in motion.
- Always enter or exit the bus through the front door. The rear door is not to be used except in an emergency or for an evacuation drill.
- Do not cross the road after you get off the bus until you are absolutely sure that it is safe to do so. Look both ways for approaching vehicles before crossing in front of the bus.
- Only musical instruments that can be carried on the lap comfortably are allowed to be brought on the bus.
- Do not litter, deface, or damage bus in any way. Student will be held accountable for the repair or replacement cost of deliberately damaged bus property
- Misbehavior of any kind will not be tolerated. Students who misbehave may be denied the privilege of riding the bus and/or receive school consequences.
Parents/guardians should notify the transportation department of any bus problems or concerns.